September 6, 2026

Films I Watched in June 2026

Lars and the Real Girl (2007) ★★★

So watching Project Hail Mary did kick start the process of me watching quite a few Ryan Gosling films. This film... This film is stunning. As a person who is weird, does not like to be touched, and is socially inept, Lars is a beautifully curated character. I could see his mounting struggles in each of the mannerisms that Gosling portrayed. I have no idea how it has ever been labelled as a Comedy, I felt that this was a deep exploration into social norms, intimacy, grief, empathy, and understanding. I especially loved seeing how deciding to help Lars, and by extension Bianca, changed Gus for the better. I think the scene of them both in the kitchen talking about "being a man", is just lovely. I love this film.

Demolition (2015) ★★★⯪☆

This was a film night pick from my brother. It isn't the type of thing I would usually go for, but I had fun watching it. This is a Jake Gyllenhaal film so, of course, his character is having a horrible time. It is a bit of a Man-Learns-Empathy film, lots of dead wife shots, in combination with a lot of slow, panning shots of New York. The little gay 14 year old was the best part of this film, all of his very gay outfits made me laugh. 

The Nice Guys (2016) ★★

Watching this literally 10 years late, I now understand why everyone wanted a sequel. I really enjoyed the whole thing, I think all the characters came together really well, and the silly shenanigans they encountered worked well with the over-the-top murder mystery they were trying to solve. The costuming was also amazing in this film, all of the different outfits they wore looked so good and fit each of the characters really well, both literally and style wise. 

Supergirl (2026) ★★★★☆

This was a highly anticipated film for me this year, I absolutely loved Superman (2025) so I couldn't wait to see more from that universe. I liked seeing more of Kara's time on Krypton, how witnessing the death of her family and her people followed her to Earth, impacted how she viewed Clark and his self imposed heroic duty, and how it shaped her into who she was when we see her at the start of the film. I think the child bride snatching, only male, mercenary race was maybe a bit too much but I guess Superman was sent to Earth to colonise us in the last film so maybe it's actually right on for the DC universe. I can't wait to see more of this version of Kara now that she's settled on Earth.

1 comment:

  1. I need to get around to seeing supergirrrrrllllllll mwah. that's a kiss for supergirl

    ReplyDelete